Comment on page
As long as your substrate can be mounted firmly and securely, the maximum substrate size is ~39 cm (15”) in the y-axis, and unconstrained in the x-axis. While the accessible print area and mounting area is approximately 8”x11”, the Voltera NOVA is open on the sides to allow an arbitrarily large substrate in the X-axis (as long as it is supported well). In the Y-axis, the substrate size is constrained to the area behind the sensor plate.
The maximum travel distance between the gantry and the mounting plate is 30mm. However, the maximum substrate height/thickness will also depend on the tool configuration. For example, if you select a long Luer syringe tip, you will need to account for the additional travel distance.
Any Luer-tapered nozzle that is shorter than ~30mm can be used with the dispenser module. We recommend using either Voltera or Subrex brand nozzles (available through Voltera), which have diameters down to 50um. Other brands of nozzles (not supplied by Voltera) are not guaranteed to provide high-quality prints, as each will have its own geometry, pressure, and particle size requirements. We generally recommend starting with our 150um nozzles when using a new material.
On the V-One, sometimes ink leaks around the piston. We call this problem 'piston rupture'. It can happen when the ink cartridge barrel deforms because of the dispenser sheath, so applying force to the piston will break the seal in the cartridge. This can affect the print quality because dispensing on the V-One is entirely open-loop displacement-based dispensing, so any situation where ink can leak backwards will affect the desired flow rate of the ink.
On NOVA, we've already addressed this problem in a few ways:
- Cartridges are not constrained as tightly as they are in the V-One, so the syringe barrel doesn't deform.
- The plunger design is different, and applies pressure more evenly around the piston.
- NOVA's dispenser module has an in-line pressure sensor, so the displacement adjusts automatically to maintain the correct flow rate.
In general, use a nozzle that is shorter than 30mm for the dispensing tip.
The limiting factor for the nozzle length is the distance from the bottom of the pressure sensor (when installed) to the top of the XYZ positioner.
NOVA uses Luer lock nozzles, which means that any nozzle will have a Luer hub. The size and length of this Luer hub varies, but is typically around 20mm. With the Luer hub added, your nozzle (end-to-end) should be no longer than 50mm.
- Syringe barrel - Polypropylene
- Syringe end cap & piston - Polyethylene
- Nozzles - Various depending on supplier, typically combinations of PE, PP, stainless steel, electroless nickel plated phosphor bronze
- Calibration plate - 430 Stainless Steel
- XYZ knob - Stainless Steel
- Pressure sensor - FKM (71% Fluorine content), 303 Stainless Steel (Passivated)
- Plunger - Stainless Steel
- Plunger O-ring - Buna-N
Customers who use secure WIFI networks, like government agencies, can use a mobile hotspot. These can be purchased affordably, and broadcast a WIFI network connected to LTE. That way, there’s no downtime and NOVA never connects directly to your secure network.
Distance from bottom of the camera to top of the vacuum table: ~60.6 mm