2. Printer Setup
Follow along with Mike as you learn the basics of the V-One in this step-by-step guide. He'll teach you tips and tricks as you complete your very first Hello World circuit!
Once you’ve opened the box, remove the layers of foam one by one. Place them aside for now, and remove the V-One from the box. Avoid picking the V-One up by the bridge. Instead, use two hands and lift it from the base.
The V-One comes with all the tools and accessories you need to get started:
- 1 - Conductive Ink Cartridge
- 1 - Solder Paste Cartridge
- 1 - Solder Wire Spool
- 1 - Flux Syringe
- 1 - Burnishing Pad
- 1 - Hello World Circuit Kit
- 10 - 2" x 3" Substrates
- 6 - 3" x 4" Substrates
- 1 - Probe
- 2 - Dispensing Units
- 3 - Caps
- 1 - USB Cable
- 1 - Power Cable
- 4 - Thumbscrews
- 2 - Board Clamps
- 4 - Nozzles
Take some time to get comfortable with the parts of the V-One. We will be working with them over the next couple of sections.
The V-One comes with 2 identical dispensers for the 2 ink cartridges: conductive ink and solder paste. Now that you are familiar with the parts, you can start assembling the V-One dispensers.
Be sure the dispenser’s plunger is fully retracted before assembling. If the plunger is too far out it can push ink out during assembly.
- 1.Remove the dispensing cap from the cartridge sheath. Remove the green lids from the conductive ink cartridge.
- 2.Insert conductive ink cartridge into the sheath with the ink level visible through the viewing window.
- 3.Twist the dispensing unit back into the cartridge sheath.
- 4.Carefully twist the nozzle onto the end of the cartridge.
- 5.The conductive ink cartridge is used in the video. The same procedure applies for assembling the solder paste dispenser.
Download the V-One software installer for your operating system. Open the file and install on your system.
- A flat, level surface with minimum vibration is optimal.
- A well ventilated area is recommended.
- Do not place the V-One on a surface that is susceptible to heat damage.
- Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures – room temperature is ideal.
- Connect the USB cable to the V-One, then to your computer.
- Connect the power cable to the V-One, then to an outlet.
- Open the Voltera V-One software.
The V-One may require a firmware update on startup. Do not disconnect or turn off the V-One during the firmware update!
Now you are almost ready to get printing! Follow along with our Hello World tutorial; you will learn how to print traces, dispense solder paste and assembly a functional board!